1) Shower using an exfoliating body wash or gently wash using a wash cloth. Focus on exfoliating rougher areas like knees, elbows, and ankles.
2) Dry off and lightly moisturize rougher areas with a light moisturizer. Allow a couple of minutes for moisturizer to set and begin spraying desired areas holding bottle at arm's length.
3) When finished spraying, use a bundle of toilet paper to gently rub/dab away any excess on knees ankles, feet, and elbows.
4) Wash hands thoroughly and allow 5 minutes for application to set before getting into bed.
General Rules of Thumb:
1) Do NOT be afraid of self-tanners. You will NOT end up looking like The Donald I swear. It would take about a hundred consecutive applications to get that orange, so don't be shy-just go for it!
2) If an area looks uneven or a bit streaky when you wake up, you can even it out with a wet wash cloth and a little scrubbing.
3) Most often, you will wake up wishing it was darker than it turned out, but remember to achieve desired color, it usually takes 2-3 applications.
4) To maintain your color for longer than 3-4 days, wash with a gentle soap like Dove, and moisturize with lotion after showering.
5) Once you get comfortable with the self tanner you pick, you might even try experimenting like, dabbing the bronzing gel on your cheekbones and forehead only, or maybe you just want a little extra color on your face, neck, and chest- you can really personalize your look and it is not rocket science I promise.
In the pic above, I achieved my look after two applications. I've found that when I use some self-tanner, I need less makeup too. Always a plus. So, don't be scared. You can do this. Get out there and have a little fun-summer is almost here! Comment below with your safe sun summer bronzing tips, I want to hear from you!